What is Glutamine?
Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the bloodstream and in muscles(over 61% of skeletal muscle is Glutamine). It participates in many metabolic processes and is also a major fuel source for intestinal, immune and brain cells. Glutamine regulates nitrogen transport to and from muscle tissue, establishing amino acid balance. Studies have shown that L-Glutamine has anti-catabolic properties(prevents or minimizes muscles breakdown) and also improves protein metabolism.
Although the body has the ability to make glutamine, extreme physical or mental stress, the kind you would experience after an injury, surgery, or heavy exercise can increase the demand for glutamine. So, increasing glutamine uptake through supplementation, could increase protein synthesis & speed wound healing and post-exercise recovery
During intense exercise, blood and muscle levels of glutamine tend to fall, while muscles are torn down. To reverse this effect, nutrients must be fed to the muscles and protein synthesis must be stimulated to build new muscle. Taking L-glutamine could benefit your body in the following ways:
- Halt the breakdown of muscles and stimulate new growth (the body can use the glutamine to synthesize protein in the muscles )
- Decreases muscle wasting (L-Glutamine can minimize breakdown of muscle, especially during periods you are "cutting off" in order to lose body fat, but you need to keep your muscles intact)
- Increases your body's ability to secrete Human Growth Hormone(HGH), which helps metabolize body fat and support new muscle growth
- Improves athletic performance and recovery from endurance exercise
- Improves cellular detoxification & prevents infections following athletic events
- Speeds wound healing in postoperative patients & could also ease trauma and burns by maintaining cell volume and hydration
- Boost your immune system(Glutamine is a very effective intestinal and immune system health compound, as these cells use glutamine as the preferred fuel source rather than glucose.
If your goal is Strength, Stamina and fast recovery Glutamine is what you need for optimal performance
Up to 80kilos take 1 serving dissolved in a large glass/bottle of water, ideally before or/and during workout. Additional servings may be taken depending on physical activity and body weight
Taking glutamine before an intense training, allows your body to keep a high supply of glutamine in the muscles and stop them from breaking down. This means the body can use the glutamine in the muscles to synthesize protein and build muscle mass.